Nov 29, 2017

Cultural Appropriation: It's What's For Dinner


A few years ago, I asked for an Ancestry.com membership for Christmas.  It didn't take too long before I realized that it wasn't very smart for me to ask for such a thing at that point in my life, when I had a very young child who never slept or sat still, but for a few months I did my best to enjoy it in what little free time I had.  I hope to pick up where I left off with it some day, but in the minimal research I was able to do then, I definitely learned something about myself.  I am white, y'all.  I'm the whitest white girl on the planet.  I'm whiter than rice on a paper plate.  At least that appeared to be the implication from what I've found so far.  I ordered Ancestry DNA kits for my dad and I a few days ago, and I'm really hopeful there will be some kind of bombshell surprise ethnicity in there, but that's probably unlikely, given what recent immigrants most of my ancestors are.  I will admit to being a little disappointed at being so monochromatic.  While I'm definitely proud of the people I descend from, all white is just kind of boring.

So who is this white girl to teach anyone to make Indian food?  Who is she to make Indian butter chicken and serve it over basmati pilaf with naan?  Who does she think she is stocking her pantry with garam masala and turmeric?  What an elitist bitch.

Ok, I'll make you a compromise.  I'll let someone who actually knows Indian food school you on the butter chicken, because hers is amazing and needs no improvement (https://twosleevers.com/now-later-butter-chicken-pressure-cooker/), and I'll handle the basmati.  Ask your friend, Trader Joe, to make the naan for you.  Some day, when I'm feeling like usurping someone's culture again, I'll teach you how to make pressure cooker chicken tikka masala to go with your basmati.  Mmmm....diversity is delicious.




Pressure Cooker Basmati Pilaf

I like my rice to have some chew, so this is not super soft when it's cooked.  I think you'd probably need to add a bit more water and maybe 1 more minute of cook time to get a softer texture.  But that is a guess on my part.

4 tsp. coconut oil
3 whole cloves
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 of a large onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. salt

Turn the pressure cooker to saute mode and add the coconut oil.  Once the oil is melted and hot, add the cloves and cinnamon stick.  Cook for about 2 minutes, until the spices are sizzling.  Add the cardamom and cumin and cook another minute or so.  Add the onion and cook until it is softened, another 2 or 3 minutes.  Stir in the basmati and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes in the hot oil, stirring frequently.  Add the water and salt and give it a good stir.  Lock on the lid and turn the pot to manual on high pressure and set for 4 minutes.  Once the cook time is over, do a quick pressure release.  Serve immediately and try not to bite into those whole cloves. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment