Oct 22, 2017

15 is My Limit on Schnitzengruben


I'm guessing every family has those people who are known for certain dishes.  The ones that make the best, most delicious version of "whatever" that it's just a given that no one else but them makes it in the event of a family gathering.  In my family, my Aunt Linda makes the best apple pie.  (Check out my other blog to learn her method: http://vintagekitchenrecipes.blogspot.com/ )  My Aunt Kathy makes amazing fruit salad.  My Grandma Marguerite, among other things, was the brisket queen.  And I?  I make the German potato salad.  I am the potato salad Jedi, and you are my padawans.  Let's begin.  First, don your finest tutu.


Ok, that part is optional.  But it is my daughter's preferred method.

I love German food.  Sausages, schnitzel, potatoes, pretzels, beer.....lots and lots of beer.  Then more pretzels.  One of the joys of my husband's active duty Army years was that you were never too far from good German food.  Near an Army base you can always find it.  But I was never going to get potato salad at a German restaurant because that was something I could make an excellent version of on my own.  I'd leave it to them to cook me the things I didn't know how to make.  So, is my recipe authentic?  Beats me.  I mean, it's got Miracle Whip in it, so probably not.  But it's tasty, and it's by far one of my most requested dishes when I'm being asked to bring something to share to a big gathering.  


When I first got my Instant Pot and saw that people were cooking the potatoes for potato salad in their pressure cooker, I immediately knew I wanted to convert my own recipe, and it did not disappoint!  If the only thing I ever used my IP for as long as I owned it was to make this recipe, it would still be worth it just to avoid peeling and cutting up a bunch of burning hot potatoes.  Now you can peel and cut ahead of time, cook your hard boiled eggs right along with potatoes, and then continue on by cooking the dressing right in the pot using the saute mode.  Sehr gut, ja?


Pressure Cooker German Potato Salad

I used my 6 quart Instant Pot and an Oxo Steamer basket.  I prefer red potatoes for this recipe, but I like Yukon Golds pretty well also.  No russets.  I don't feel like they hold up to the cooking well enough. If you like really eggy potato salad, throw in a third egg.  Start with 1/2 cup of sugar and you can add more during the taste test at the end, if needed.

1 cup water
2 1/2 to 3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes around 1/4" to 1/2"
2 or 3 eggs
half of a medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste
12 oz. package bacon, diced
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 Tbs. Miracle Whip

Pour the water into the pressure cooker.  Insert a steamer basket into the pot and add the potatoes.  Place the eggs on top of the potatoes and put the lid on the pot.  Cook on manual for 4 minutes and then do a quick pressure release.  Remove the eggs.  I like to immediately crack them when they come out and then put them in an ice water bath.  This both stops the cooking process and makes them easier to peel.  Peel and chop the eggs.  Remove the steamer basket from the pot and put the potatoes into a large serving bowl.  Add the eggs, onion, sugar, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and stir gently, making sure not to mash up the potatoes too much.

Dump out the remaining water from the pressure cooker pot and turn on saute mode.  Add the diced bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy.  Do not drain the grease.  With saute mode still on, add the vinegar and Miracle Whip to the bacon and grease.  Stir until it is well combined and bubbly.  Pour the hot bacon mixture over the potatoes and stir until the potatoes are all well coated with the dressing.  Give it a taste and adjust your sugar, salt, and pepper accordingly.  Serve warm or room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment