Aug 28, 2017

Make Tomorrow Taco (Soup) Tuesday!






I have a marvelous soup recipe for you.  What I don't have is sparkling wit and insightful commentary.  No funny stories.  No relatable anecdotes.  I got nothing.  I drank 2 martinis and more than a full bottle of wine on Saturday night and I swear my brain is still fried.  I went out to the front of the restaurant I was at when they closed at 1 am to wait for my cab, reached into my purse and pulled out the half-full bottle of wine that my friend and I still had on our table when they closed the place down.  I don't even remember putting it there, and I'm pretty sure I broke the law by carrying it out of there.  But you better believe we drank it from the bottle while we sat on the curb and waited for our ride, because we are classy bitches.  You can take the girl outta north St. Louis county.... 


So, yeah.  I think I'm still recovering from that outing.  I was still functional enough to make this recipe perfectly on the first try, but that must have used up the last of my operational brain cells.  Therefore, bon appetit.  Hopefully I'll recover some semblance of writing ability in the near future.

 
By the way, I just want you to know, it's hard to take a good picture of soup.  Granted, I don't really take very good pictures of anything, but soup is particularly hard.  My husband and I both absolutely devoured this, and the best picture I could take makes it look a bowl of barf.  So pardon how unattractive this looks.  I promise it is very tasty.



Pressure Cooker Taco Soup with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream

Notes:  I used my 6 quart Instant Pot.  I call for fresh corn, but you could easily substitute canned or frozen corn.  I just love the crunch of the fresh stuff, and since it's still plentiful right now, I went for it.  I always fry (or sometimes bake) my own tortilla strips, but you could certainly use a bag of tortilla chips.  They don't hold up as well, but I understand what it's like to be busy. :)  Don't drain the cans of Rotel.  I used fire roasted, but choose any version you like.  Also, don't soak your beans.  Both the dried beans and the meat have a similar cooking time and will come out perfect together.

2 tsp. oil
half of a large onion, chopped
half of a large poblano pepper, diced
salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs. round steak, cut into small (~1/2") cubes
2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel
1/2 lb. dried black beans
1/2 lb. dried pinto beans
4 cups water
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
1 (15 oz.) can cream style corn
2 ears of fresh corn on the cob, corn kernels cut off

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. lime zest
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro
pinch of salt

Possible toppings:
shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
tortilla chips or fried tortilla strips
diced avocado
chopped green onion
fresh lime wedges

For the cilantro-lime sour cream, combine the sour cream, lime zest, cilantro, and pinch of salt in a food processor and process until cilantro is completely chopped and incorporated.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the soup, turn the pressure cooker to saute mode and add the oil.  Once the oil is hot, add the onion, poblano pepper, and a pinch of salt.  Cook until the onions and peppers are softened.  Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so until fragrant.  Add the round steak, Rotel (with its juices), beans, water, taco seasoning, and dressing mix.  Cook on high pressure for 55 minutes.  Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick release. 

Stir in the cream corn and fresh corn and heat through.  If you're adding frozen corn, you'll probably want to turn on saute mode to make sure it heats through.  If you're adding fresh or canned corn, the soup will probably already be hot enough to heat the corn without turning the pot back on.  Serve with the cilantro-lime sour cream and other desired toppings.





No comments:

Post a Comment